Saturday, June 23, 2012

Birds feeding in backyard - June 19, 2012


You can link to my vimeo.com channel:

Vimeo

Or watch the video in a separate tab:

https://vimeo.com/44565699


My videos of birds feeding in the backyard of where I live in Maplewood, New Jersey are taking on whole new dimensions. The first is finding a subject for my videos that is interesting enough to draw me into it. Birdwatching here in Maplewood is. We have cardinals, bluejays, catbirds, and others that I will be looking up in my bird guides.

The second dimension is getting deeper into shooting, processing, and publishing to the internet.

The video in this post is the "before" video of my journey. We'll see how far I can get. Obviously, I have a lot to learn.

Hopefully by putting it out for all to see, I will encourage other older adults in "creative retirement" to begin their own challenging and motivating journey in pursuit of some activity that adds meaning to lives through learning and doing something creative ... no matter what it is ... an activity that gets us "out of bed in the morning."

And show that the first steps in whatever we do are always baby steps ... for all of us.

You see, I had successful quadruple bypass open heart surgery on April 10th of this year. My doctors then told me my repaired ticker would last another 20-25 years. It was in pretty good condition except for the clogged arteries to begin with. I hadn't had a heart attack yet, and they operated when the afib and angina led to a cardiac catheterization (heart cath) that signaled I was due for one.

Faced with another active "phase" for my life, I am exploring my options. Bird videos are definitely in the running. I am already hooked on doing something with video. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: